This Sprawling Cleveland Estate Built by William Mather With a Nod to the White House Is Now On the Market for $6.5 Million
The historic Gwinn Estate and mansion in Bratenahl (12407 Lakeshore), built by William Mather and named after his mother, is now on the market after recent restoration efforts for $6.5 million.
The 11-bedroom estate was originally the home of Mather, a bachelor at the time he acquired the plots in 1909 and began construction, and his half-sister Katherine. Designed by renowned architect Charles Platt, the Italian Renaissance design includes a norther portico meant to mimic the White House. Gardens and surrounding grounds were made possible after Mather bought several plots around the property and got Bratenahl to close two small avenues. Those lush gardens were designed by Warren Manning.
James D. Ireland Jr. inherited the estate in 1959 and, according to the Bratenahl historical society, "James and Cornelia Ireland decided to turn the property into a civic center. They succeeded in accomplishing by selling the property to the Elizabeth Ring Mather and William Gwinn Mather Fund, a non-profit corporation. With the cooperation of University Circle Inc., an organization that Mrs. Mather helped to inspire, Gwinn was made available for civic groups and out of town dignitaries to use for meetings, luncheons, and dinners. The house continued to be maintained with its original art treasures and English antique furniture."
It was purchased by Terwyn Properties in 2007 for $3.25 million. Following restoration work, it's now back on the market, albeit at double the price. Let's take a tour.
Historical photos courtesy CSU. Captions courtesy the Cleveland Historical Society.