18 Vintage Photos of The Cleveland Arcade
The Arcade opened in 1890. It was built at a cost of $867,000 by a company of which Stephen V. Harkness was president. The architects were Geo. H. Smith and John Eisenmann. The building is a cross between a light court and a commercial passage or shopping street. It consists of three structures: two 9-story office buildings connected by the 5-story iron-and-glass enclosed arcade. The 300-ft-long arcade is a covered light court ringed by 4 levels of balconies. The Superior Avenue front entrance features the original Richardsonian arch. The Euclid Avenue front was remodeled in 1939. The Arcade has been compared to the Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele in Milan, Italy, according to the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History.
Photos courtesy of The Cleveland Public Library Digital Gallery